(RenewableUK media release. 29th June 2017)
Record-breaking onshore wind leads UK renewable power generation in 2017
New Government figures released today show that renewable energy generated more than 25% of the UK’s electricity in the first quarter of this year – with onshore wind setting a quarterly record high, providing 8.3% of our power, again demonstrating its role as a key technology in our energy mix. Onshore wind increased by 20.2% compared to Q1 2016.
Renewables generated 26.6% our electricity from January to March, an increase of 1% on last year, while coal’s output dropped from 15.8% to 11.3%. In Q1 2015, coal was providing 30.8% of our power, so the UK’s clean energy transition is continuing to accelerate rapidly.
All low-carbon sources, including nuclear, generated 45.6% of the UK’s electricity, up from 44.4% at the same three-month period last year.
RenewableUK’s Executive Director, Emma Pinchbeck, said:
“Renewable energy is a mainstream technology, which is cheaper and more advanced than ever. Our innovative industries have matured to the point where we now reliably provide over 25% of the UK with clean, sustainable power. It’s great to see that onshore wind has set a new record, producing more electricity than ever at a time of year when we need it most.
Another key publication was also released today, the “2017 Report to Parliament” by the Government’s advisory body the Committee on Climate Change. Ms Pinchbeck commented:
“The CCC rightly highlights the good progress which the UK has made to date in taking practical steps to combat climate change, such as taking advantage of wind, wave and tidal power. It also calls for the new Government to take urgent action to ensure that emissions continue to fall. The new Minister for Climate Change Claire Perry has already shown strong leadership by saying that she intends to unveil a bold and ambitious new Clean Growth Plan. We welcome her pro-active stance on this key issue”.
For further information, please contact:
· Jennifer Webber, Director of External Affairs, 0207 901 3012 or 07792 463 445 Jennifer.Webber@RenewableUK.com
· Robert Norris, Head of Communications, 020 7901 3013 or 07969 229913, Robert.Norris@RenewableUK.com
· Adam Wentworth, Communications Officer, 020 7901 3038 or 07791 702702 Adam.Wentworth@RenewableUK.com
1. RenewableUK is the trade and professional body for the UK wind and marine renewables industries. Formed in 1978, and with more than 400 corporate members, RenewableUK is the leading renewable energy trade association in the UK.
2. The full Q1 2017 data from BEIS can be accessed here In Q1 2016 onshore wind generated 6.9% of the UK’s electricity
3. The Committee on Climate Change’s report can be found here